Author Topic: Crashes Max 8.0.1  (Read 10578 times)

ASauer

• Newbie+
Crashes Max 8.0.1
« on: October 18, 2018, 03:14:44 AM »
The vst crashes Max 8.0.1

ASauer

• Newbie+
Re: Crashes Max 8.0.1
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 11:16:12 AM »
Further testing revealed:
Just making an object with:
• vst~ "Mikron Cascade"
• mc.vst~ "Mikron Cascade"
• mcs.vst~ "Mikron Cascade"
does not crash Max.

Connecting 'mc.dup~ 4' to 'mc.vst~ "Mikron Cascade"' while the audio engine is on, immediately crashes Max.
This is used in an example in max in the Documentation: 'Using Plug-Ins with MC'.

I don't know if you guys (I mean 112dB) use Max, and if you read this forum at all, but it would at least be nice to know if you have read this post :)

martijn

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 06:17:07 PM »
We don't have Max MSP 8.0.1. But we do have the latest Live 10 witch includes max 8.0.0

Seems to load in vst~ fine sofar.

I dont know about mc.dup~ or mc.vst~. It does not seem to be objects in the max that i have and when i tried to google it nothing showed up...

-Martijn-

ASauer

• Newbie+
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 10:21:47 AM »
MC is new in Max 8. It stands for multi channel and wraps objects so they are able to process multiple channels using only 1 patchcord.
https://cycling74.com/products/max-features#mc

Max 8 in ableton is different from the Max 8 standalone version.

I've filed a bug report with cycling 74 as well.

Thanks for your reply!

SmallHollow

• Newbie+
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 10:20:25 AM »
I just bought the Mikron Cascade based on the recent review on Cycling '74 website. Sounds great!

However, like ASauer, I've noticed that it crashes in Max, even without the new MC multi-channel objects. Here's how I can make it crash on Max 8.0.6 on Mojave:

1. Start Max and create an empty patch.
2. Add vst~ object with Mikron Cascade, e.g. vst~"Mikron Cascade".
3. Turn on DAC from the Audio On/Off icon => Max will crash.

martijn

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 12:55:57 PM »
Strange...

I just tested Mikron Cascade 1.0.3 on MaxMSP 8.0.6 on Mojave 10.14.6 high sierra and sierra and Windows 10 and all worked like a charm...

Conecting disconecting mcs.vst~ "Mikron Cascade" from mc.dup~ 2 and to mc.unpack~ 2 no problemo...

I build a small generative patch around vst~ "Mikron Cascade" without stopping audio and no crash whatsoever...

So please tell me what i should do to make it crash.

Regards,

-Martijn-

nousch

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 03:53:32 PM »
Perhaps you can send us your crash log (you can post it here, but since you probably don't want to make the details of your computer setup public, you'd better send it to support at 112db.com). Maybe that will give us a clue.

--nousch

SmallHollow

• Newbie+
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 08:40:21 AM »
I just tested Mikron Cascade on my Windows 10 machine and the crash behavior is exactly the same as on my Mojave MacBook, with one exception: on Windows the VST3 plugin does not crash with the procedure described below (the same as in my earlier message). VST2 plugins do crash. Both computers are running Max 8.0.6 with the latest OS updates.

1. Start Max and create an empty patch.
2. Add vst~ object with Mikron Cascade, e.g. vst~"Mikron Cascade".
3. Turn on DAC from the Audio On/Off icon in the lower right corner.

I'll send a crash log to support.

martijn

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 09:19:50 PM »
Question: Is it only Mikron Cascade that crashes or are other Mikrons crashing too? If you could test this it would really be helpful.

-Martijn-

martijn

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 09:50:45 AM »
Ok we found it. Mikron Cascade crashes in MaxMSP when vector size is greater than 64. We are working on fixing this!!! Meanwhile if you set the Vector size to 64 all should work fine.

Regards,

-Martijn-

nousch

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 08:45:40 PM »
On closer inspection this turned out not exactly a bug on our end, but Max MSP not following the VST2 specification. setSampleRate() and setBlockSize() are supposed to be called in suspended state before resume() is called. MaxMSP does not call suspend() nor resume()... This just happens to lead to a crash with Mikron Cascade in Max, because this plugin needs these calls to operate correctly, but in other plugins this might lead to less visible problems. Our personal recommendation would be that MaxMSP would fix this. But for the time being we found a workaround on our end. We still have to run some tests to make sure these changes won't lead to problems in some other host, but we think the latest beta version at least should solve the problem that has been reported. We would appreciate it if you guys could confirm that. You can download the beta version of Mikron Cascade including this fix here:

MAC:
https://www.112db.com/download/software/beta/Mikron-Max-fix/Mikron-Cascade-1.0.4-beta.pkg

Windows:
https://www.112db.com/download/software/beta/Mikron-Max-fix/Mikron-Cascade-1.0.4-beta.exe

--nousch

martijn

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 08:33:48 AM »
We are happy to say that the issues with the Mikron plugins have been resolved with the latest update of MaxMSP 8.0.8!
Regards,
-Martijn-

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB