Author Topic: Process final mixes with RM?  (Read 4762 times)

jeffwatt

• Newbie+
Process final mixes with RM?
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:25:21 AM »
I am very impressed with the difference Redline Monitor makes when mixing on headphones, and have placed it near the top of my plug-in wishlist. Like other users have mentioned, it makes me want to run everything I listen to on headphones through RM (WMP / Winamp / iTunes plug-in, perhaps?) . . .

. . . which leads me to think about people who will primarily listen to my mixes on headphones -- most likely owners of iPods and similar mp3 players. Would there be any advantage to processing my final mixes with Redline Monitor so that everyone can enjoy the "virtual near-field monitor" effect? I imagine this could prove detrimental to those listening on regular speakers, but what would be compromised, and to what degree?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and opinions!

dj!

• 112dB
Re: Process final mixes with RM?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 06:13:32 PM »
Hi & sorry for the late reply--vacation called. :)

We are looking into making RM available in other plugin formats, but nothing definite to show for yet.

Processing final mixes intended for playback on headphones through RM is definitely a viable option.  I'm not entirely sure what MP3 encoding will do to the effect but that's simple enough to try--I'll give this a listen as well but don't expect any major changes.  As you already note, the only drawback is that the processed mix will sound different on regular speakers.  Most noticeably the stereo image will be reduced in width, and if Distance is set to anything greater than 0m the frequency response is not entirely flat (though I'd imagine it to still be within the tolerance of most mid-range playback systems).  Other than that there shd be no detrimental effect from RM processing, at least none that will be noticeable on speakers.

Hope this helps,

-- dj!

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB