Author Topic: [Solved] Anyone else experience crashes on Cubase (x64)?  (Read 37400 times)

nousch

• Administrator
Re: Anyone else experience crashes on Cubase (x64)?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 03:52:50 PM »
We still haven't been able to reproduce the problem with large projects, I' m afraid. But we did find some inefficiencies in the Redline Reverb code that potentially could cause problems. Because we can't reproduce your problem here, and as a consequence can't tell if the changes we made indeed have solved it, we kindly ask you guys to try the new beta and report back:

www.112db.com/beta

Thanks in advance,

--nousch

niles

• Beta Tester
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 11:21:12 PM »
Nousch, thanks for getting back at us.
I've tested the 1.7 beta with a demo license, and the behavior is the same. When opening the GUI in a larger project (+/- 4.5GB), Cubase crashes.
I also tested Studio One 2.5 x64, and that one too crashed with a 3GB project, exact same behavior as Cubase.

Despite the fact I don't have any trouble with other x64's plugs in big projects, I'm afraid it system related then. Especially given the fact you are not able to reproduce the issue on a PC with a Cubase x64 project >4GB.

neilwilkes

• Beta Tester
    • Opus Productions Ltd
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 08:03:57 AM »
I am not at all certain this is a 112dB bug.
Why? Simply because not only can I not repro this, but also because I have heard of it in other plugin manufacturers/coders as well, and again - cannot repro.

Dare I ask if you have any Native Instruments plugins running when these crashes occur?

niles

• Beta Tester
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 10:31:23 AM »
Dare I ask if you have any Native Instruments plugins running when these crashes occur?
Yes, I have several Native Instruments plugins running. Could those be troublemakers?

Edit: I just tried to reproduce the problem with a Cubase project and only one instance of Halion 4 loaded with a bunch of high memory patches, and the problem remains. So I'm afraid it's not related to Native Instruments plugs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:01:39 AM by niles »

nousch

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 04:56:31 PM »
Sorry to hear it still not working. I really hoped those changes would have made a difference...

I have heard of it in other plugin manufacturers/coders as well, and again - cannot repro.

Could you perhaps send me a link if you have one? I can try to do some detective work, maybe those other problems can reveal the underlying cause.

--nousch

niles

• Beta Tester
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 08:51:42 PM »
Sorry to hear it still not working. I really hoped those changes would have made a difference...
Yep, me too  ;)

For the record, when a project is small it works perfectly, I can easily run 340+ instances of the reverb without any trouble.
Another remarkable thing. When I switch the plugin's GUI to "Generic editor" in Cubase, while spiking, the spiking stops immediately.

Neil and Nousch, do you care to share your system specifications?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:12:56 PM by niles »

nousch

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 10:42:21 PM »
I don't really understand what you mean, we got a lot of different systems here to test with. When someone has a problem we try the one that comes the most close. Is that the one you're interested in?

--nousch

niles

• Beta Tester
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 01:45:32 PM »
I don't really understand what you mean, we got a lot of different systems here to test with. When someone has a problem we try the one that comes the most close. Is that the one you're interested in?

Yes, that's the one. Because maybe an obvious thing like the graphic card/driver or type of CPU could be the cause of the issue.
I'm almost sure it's related to something graphical, because when I open the plugin GUI when it's NOT activated in Cubase, it also starts stressing my 12th CPU core. The fact it always and every time stresses the same CPU core in every high memory project, is remarkable itself.

Obviously when I run multiple instances of the plugin in an empty project, every separate instances of the plugin is pointed to 1 of the 12 cores, exactly like it should be in a multi processing environment.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 04:10:20 PM by niles »

DoozerLee

• Newbie+
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »
Yes I am getting the same problem
Most projects crash straight away, when adding big blue.
A couple of become unstable and crashed a bit later.
I noticed it on a project with 96 Khz 32 bit float
And another at 44 khz 32 bit float.
It may be OK on 24 bit projects?
It happens a lot though, so I have had to stop using Big Blue, which is a shame, because it is really good at fattening up sounds.
I am using:-
Cubase 7.05, Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
i7-3770K CPU 3.5 Ghz, 8 Gig Memory

Cheers,
Paul

nousch

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 03:47:50 PM »
The good news: we finally were able to reproduce the bug on our own systems. The bad news: we have still not been able to find the cause. We have some idea in which direction to look though, so with a bit of luck we'll have a solution this week.

--nousch

DoozerLee

• Newbie+
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 01:38:20 AM »
That's great news. Thank you. I hope you can fix it.
I have a few compressor from including vey expensive high end ones, but Big Blue is still my Go-to compressor.
This is because it is flexible and really beefs up the sound. The thing that it does well, that non of my other compressors do, is ducking the bass with a sidechain from the kick, to make the kick sound clearly through the bass. A lot of thee other compressors don't have side chain, or they just don't sound right doing this (I think they are a bit slow compared to Big Blue, which still sound very good with very short Attack time.)

So in other words it would make a huge difference to me if it can get sorted (or if there's a work around you know of).
I have over 20 years experience working as a developer (but not audio plugins unfortunately) so if you need someone to help with testing, or check the Beta is OK, then let me know and I would be happy help.
Cheers,
Paul

niles

• Beta Tester
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 04:11:21 PM »
The good news: we finally were able to reproduce the bug on our own systems. The bad news: we have still not been able to find the cause. We have some idea in which direction to look though, so with a bit of luck we'll have a solution this week.

Great news, hope you'll find the solution soon.
Good luck!!

DoozerLee

• Newbie+
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 12:55:53 AM »
I think I know the cause!
I always have problems in Cubase with 32 bit plugins.
I had no problems with Big Blue for a while, when I had a golden rule of not using 32bit. Then the problem came back. I had accidently added 32 bit plugins to my project.
When I removed the 32 bit plugins, there was no further problems with Big Blue.
I have not had a problem with Big Blue since.
I am sure it is caused by adding 32 bit plugins to the project.
So maybe BitBridge or the 32bit plugins are overwriting the memory for Big Blue? Or something techy like that.
Cheers,
Paul

neilwilkes

• Beta Tester
    • Opus Productions Ltd
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 08:03:27 AM »
Hiya Paul.

Is Cubase scanning both the 32 & 64-bit versions at the same time?
This will certainly cause stability issues in my experience.
With VST2 plugins, I now tend to make sure that 64-bit hosts do not, ever, point at a shared folder that contains 32-bit versions of plugins also installed in 64-bit mode.

nousch

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2013, 12:14:34 PM »
Thanks Paul! If it's the bit bridge it could explain why we had so much difficulty to reproduce this problem at first. I don't know much about the technical details myself, only that it it has something to do with memory allocation, and that it turned out very complicated to track because the problem manifests itself in the host program and not in the plugin itself. It looks like we finally found the cause however. I'll contact all you guys who reported this problem personally when the new version gets the all clear. Would be great if you would be willing to check if this fix solves the problem on your specific set up/projects as well.

--nousch

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB