Author Topic: Some questions about (future) features  (Read 7935 times)

Lotuz

• Newbie+
Some questions about (future) features
« on: May 20, 2007, 10:41:59 PM »
I use Halion as my main sampleplayer, but if Morgana has/will have the following features, then I might consider getting it when it's released.

-all sliders, knobs, buttons and also the handles of the wave start and end point controllable by MIDI. I'd rather use a MIDI controller like a BCR2000 than a mouse to operate the sampler.

-disk streaming plus the ability to discard the unused portions of the (large) sample and save the edited sample as a new file, so the original won't be affected. I often load a complete song (.wav) if I'm not sure which part of that song I'll end up using as a sample. That's one of the beauties of disk streaming. But when I'm finished, I'd like to save the sample without the unused parts (the parts left of the start point and right of the end point).

Will Morgana have these features?

Claude

Re: Some questions about (future) features
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 04:43:04 AM »
- Morgana already has MIDI assignment for basically any GUI control. We had sample start/end points and loop points midi controllable, but I think we disabled that for efficiency reasons - we could probably re-instate that though, I'll let you know what the scoop is there.

- Disk streaming is basically not going to happen. Morgana was designed for smaller samples, and  it's not exactly trivial to implement such a function. But I'm not sure if you'd need it for what you want to do - a typical song off of a CD would only be about 45Mb, shouldn't make much of a dent on your physical memory if you have a fairly modern spec'd PC. Better yet, remember that Morgana can sample off of any track in your host - all multitrack audio hosts naturally support disk streaming, so you can achieve essentially the same thing by loading a song as an audio track and using Morgana to sample the bits you want.

midigod

• Newbie+
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 09:11:42 PM »
I don't see any talk about importing other formats, but as soon as I saw the front panel, it seemed obvious what the lineage was.

I still have a very large Mirage library, so if there's any talk of importing Mirage samples, I'd love to see that.  Though I may get Morgana anyway, I will absolutely get it if it can import Mirage samples.  It's true that many PCs don't have floppy drives any more, and the Mirage format is a little tricky to read on PC, but I think it would be a wonderful feature to implement.

Best of luck to you guys in any event!

-Craig

Claude

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 10:18:02 PM »
The Mirage floppy format is impressively arcane. In order to read the floppy under modern OSes, we would essentially have to write a custom floppy driver, which is beyond the scope of what we do.

The good news is that tools like the Mirage Sample Dumper *do* work under XP, if you've got MASOS for your Mirage. - so the sample data is easily converted.

ViktorW

• Newbie+
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 08:50:15 PM »
Hello developers!

From days gone by I have a larger sample library that I used for making music with trackers like FasttrackerII.
All the samples are in .smp format, mostly 8 bit and 22 KHz and very small. Virtually no software can read that format anymore, and I haven't found a conversion tool for that either.
So, if you find the time, I'd be more than happy if you implemented that sample format.
Thanks,

Viktor

Claude

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 09:18:27 PM »
viktor - could you email (claude@112db.com) me one of these .smp files so that I may analyze it? It's possible that such a format might be trivial to implement, in which case we would definitely go for it.

ViktorW

• Newbie+
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 05:56:36 PM »
Will do!
Thanks for considering it, Claude. It's the sample format that had been used by the adlib soundcards in the 90s. I will send a few examples later.
Cheers,

Viktor

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB