Author Topic: Version 1.0.1 Issues in REAPER + requests  (Read 6298 times)

Dstruct

• Newbie+
Version 1.0.1 Issues in REAPER + requests
« on: May 10, 2010, 02:28:18 PM »
Hi!

I've just tried the Redline Reverb 1.0.1 in REAPER 3.51 and there are these following problems (besides the extreme slow GUI opening problem causing sound interruption already posted by another user):

1) After a render process you'll suddenly hear the reverb tail of Redline Reverb. It looks like it doesn't clear its buffers properly. But it should do this.

Reproducing steps:

-> open REAPER
-> add one track
-> add a short sample (say a bassdrum)
-> add Redline Reverb to the track and set it to a high decay value (say 30 seconds)

-> make a time selection on the ruler/timeline starting at the beginning of the sample and ending shortly after the sample (say a timeselection of 5 seconds - so the Reverb decay goes over the timeline end)

-> File -> Render -> Render time selection -> Render

=> Once the render process is finished you hear the remaining Reverb tail. This shouldn't happen.

2) Another problem:

REAPER has some options to flush FX on stop (clearing plugin buffers). This doesn't work with Redline Reverb.

Preferences/Audio/Playback:

-> enable "Run FX when stopped" + enable "Flush FX on stop"
-> playback
-> stop

=> Redline Reverb not flushed properly (sound not stopped)

-> disable "Run FX when stopped" + set "Run FX for" to say 10ms
-> playback
-> stop

=> Redline Reverb not flushed after 10ms (sound not stopped)

3) Project save issue:

-> load a REAPER project which doesn't has Redline Reverb in it
-> save the project again
-> close the project
-> start new empty project
-> File -> Save as ...

=> We're now pointed to the old/previous project folder = FINE

-> close Save dialog (don't save)
-> load Redline Reverb
-> File -> Save as ...

=> We're not pointed to "Redline Reverb Ressources" folder which doesn't make any sense (why should I want to save a project in that folder?) and which doesn't happen with any other plugin I own!

And here some feature requests/suggestions:

1) It would be nice if you could hide the mouse pointer when dragging knobs/faders. This would solve the problem of hitting screen edges when having the plugin placed near a screen edge. You can't drag the knob anymore when hitting a screen edge. With an invisible mouse pointer this doesn't happen. See Voxengo or Ohm Force plugins for example. They do it perfect.

2) Numerical input should treat comma (which we use in Germany for decimals) as decimal point too. Currently only dot is treated as decimal point.

3) Numerical input double click behaviour could be improved:

-> double click knob
-> Ok -> we decide to not enter a new value
-> double click another knob to enter new value there

=> Doesn't work. Needs a triple click in this case (single click to "activate" the new knob + double click). Shouldn't a double click be enough in this case?

4) The "sand glass" mouse pointer in numerical input mode should be removed when double clicking a knob and hovering the text label with the mouse. Doesn't look nice. Looks like the plugin in hanging. Default mouse arrow would be better.

5) Your website screenshot should be updated. It says "version 1.9.2". But we are just at 1.0.1 ;)

Ok, hope you can fix the REAPER issues at least so that I can buy this nice sounding reverb :)

Thanks and best regards!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 11:36:15 PM by Dstruct »

Dstruct

• Newbie+
Re: Version 1.0.1 Issues in REAPER + requests
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:34:04 PM »
Updated with problem number 3. No replies so far?

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:23:40 AM »
We are currently putting the upcoming 1.0.2 maintenance release through its paces, but I was able to squeeze in some fixes.  In detail:

I've just tried the Redline Reverb 1.0.1 in REAPER 3.51 and there are these following problems (besides the extreme slow GUI opening problem causing sound interruption already posted by another user):

That is fixed now.

1) After a render process you'll suddenly hear the reverb tail of Redline Reverb. It looks like it doesn't clear its buffers properly. But it should do this.

Confirmed & fixed.

2) Another problem:

REAPER has some options to flush FX on stop (clearing plugin buffers). This doesn't work with Redline Reverb.

The Run FX for... option is fixed, but I cannot figure out the other one.  Actually... what would it mean to BOTH run the FX AND flush it when stopped?  At least to me that doesn't seem to make much sense.

3) Project save issue:

This one you'll have to take up with Cockos.  A plugin has no control over which project folders the host points to by default so there's nothing I can do about that.  The reason why it doesn't happen with other plugins is probably that most other plugins don't use an auxiliary folder to load their resources from, which appears to be what confuses Reaper.

1) It would be nice if you could hide the mouse pointer when dragging knobs/faders.

It would solve the problem of hitting screen edges but IMHO would also make operating the controls very awkward for a number of reasons.  For one, we distinguish between dragging up/down (coarse adjustments) and left/right (fine adjustments)--this would be very confusing when the mouse pointer is hidden.  Also rotary knob control (for those who prefer it) is impossible without seeing the mouse pointer.

2) Numerical input should treat comma (which we use in Germany for decimals) as decimal point too. Currently only dot is treated as decimal point.

That is good point but, as trivial as it seems, not so trivial to implement in our underlying framework.  I'll add it to our todo list for some future update.

3) Numerical input double click behaviour could be improved:

Same story here.  In a nutshell, we rely on Windows messages to distinguish between single and double clicks.  When you double click elsewhere while a popup window is open, Windows reports two single clicks and there's no easy way for us to figure out that they in fact made up a double click.  I'll see if I can figure out some way around this but definitely not for the moment.

4) The "sand glass" mouse pointer in numerical input mode should be removed when double clicking a knob and hovering the text label with the mouse.

Could this be a Reaper problem?  I cannot reproduce that here, neither in Reaper nor in any other host.

Take care,

-- dj!

Dstruct

• Newbie+
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 05:47:24 PM »
The Run FX for... option is fixed, but I cannot figure out the other one.  Actually... what would it mean to BOTH run the FX AND flush it when stopped?  At least to me that doesn't seem to make much sense.

It makes sense for several plugins that need the audio engine running on stopped playback (because they only update their GUI with running engine).

"Run FX + Flush when stopped" makes the plugins running on stopped playback (so you can still make settings in their GUIs) and the "Flush" clears the buffers on stop to kill any long release sounds or reverb tails, delays ...

Are you registeded in the REAPER forums?

Dstruct

• Newbie+
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 05:53:13 PM »
This one you'll have to take up with Cockos.  A plugin has no control over which project folders the host points to by default so there's nothing I can do about that.  The reason why it doesn't happen with other plugins is probably that most other plugins don't use an auxiliary folder to load their resources from, which appears to be what confuses Reaper.

Other plugins also use auxiliary folders to load their resources from! Flux VST plugins for example. And with those it doesn't happen!

Maybe your plugin does send to REAPER something which it shouldn't need to send?

Dstruct

• Newbie+
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 05:57:09 PM »
It would solve the problem of hitting screen edges but IMHO would also make operating the controls very awkward for a number of reasons.  For one, we distinguish between dragging up/down (coarse adjustments) and left/right (fine adjustments)--this would be very confusing when the mouse pointer is hidden.

Wouldn't confuse anyone, trust me. See Ohm Force plugins for example. They also support up/down + left/right movement. It's the speed of the knob that matters, not the visibility of the mouse pointer. It "feels" much better for me with hidden mouse pointer.

Also rotary knob control (for those who prefer it) is impossible without seeing the mouse pointer.

Just show the mouse pointer then. But only in this mode.

Dstruct

• Newbie+
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »
Could this be a Reaper problem?  I cannot reproduce that here, neither in Reaper nor in any other host.

I doubt that this is a REAPER problem. Where did you have your mouse? The sand glass arrow only gets displayed on the left label of that input field. On the right you're getting proper "edit field input" mouse pointer ...

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB