Author Topic: FR: Lossless compression support  (Read 11790 times)

peterpiper

• Newbie+
FR: Lossless compression support
« on: January 08, 2007, 11:32:10 PM »
Hi, first I want to thank you for your work. I ve waited for such a thing for a long time and cant wait to test the demo.

So I have two Feature Request and hope that you find it intesting enough to implement it.
I use many large Samples like Drumloops etc and I wait for a sampler that support the lossless compression formats FLAC and/or APE. I would convert my very big sample HD to Flac when there is a support.

Also I see that Morgana support REX Files. Thats cool but what about supporting Cuepoints in Wave Files. I'm able to set Cue Points in Adobe Audition then save the file and use this wave in FL Studio (FL Slicer).The FL Slicer recognize the Cuepoints that I have made in AA.

Thank you and good luck with your program!!

Claude

Re: FR: Lossless compression support
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 06:11:04 AM »
Hi Peter!

Thanks for your interest in Morgana. Your idea for cuepoints in Morgana is a good one. I think this feature has a good chance make it into Morgana. We'll have to find out a little more about how this works but it's probably not much different from detecting other types of markers which we're already doing. I don't want to say anything definitive until I get word from dj! (head programmer for 112dB), but it seems very reasonable.

As far as FLAC/APE support, all things are possible. dj! and I discussed it, and functionally it's as easy as decoding the compressed file upon loading, whereupon it will play as uncompressed PCM from RAM. But of course it does take some work to implement these codecs, so it may come down to how much interest there is in such a feature. To be explicit...

This is an open call! Anybody who is interested in FLAC/APE support for Morgana please speak up now! This is your chance to be heard, but development time is precious so we need to see that people are enthusiastic for this feature in order to justify the resource expenditure.

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:27:09 AM »
Anybody who is interested in FLAC/APE support for Morgana please speak up now!

Just a short addendum: another lossless option would be WavPack--it is open source, multi platform, encodes and decodes fast, robust, and combines lossless with (optional) lossy compression.

-- dj!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 10:28:52 AM by dj! »

peterpiper

• Newbie+
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 10:30:45 AM »
Wow that was fast ;)
Thank you. I hope many people will find this feature interesting enough.

hm I think this site need to be in my "Check Daily" Bookmarkfolder :)

bincbom

• Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 11:57:05 PM »
I have some advice for the 112db people on this:

Stay Focused on "Mirageness".  Getting Morgana to do the Mirage-thing in an appealing package with the raw, gritty sound that it should have is going to be tough enough.

The world simply does not need another "REX file player".  Similarly, compressed audio support seems like a waste of time.  People who really want REALLY BIG FILES in Morgana can install more RAM.  Heck, I'll even spot them the $20US that it will take to do that.

Stay Focused.  Your Morgana concept is wonderful, and you have a real chance at pulling a RB-338 here.  But please focus on the SOUND and the basic Mirageness for the first release.

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 06:06:34 PM »
Thanks for the advice... we hear you!

The reason why we're including REX support is that it closely corresponds to how many people (mis?)used the slightly ideosyncratic wavesample concept in the Mirage: to play back separate "slices" of sampled audio.  We have no plans to turn Morgana into something it is not, but the ability to slice samples was to appealing to ignore.

As for the compressed audio support, you may have a point.  Then again adding support for an open source file format is not that much work--code that reads such formats is freely available--and if it gets us a few extra customers, well...  That's why we're polling how much real need there is for such a feature before we decide to add it.

But once again thanks for your concern, it's much appreciated and we'll definitely keep it in mind.  Rest assured that making Morgana sound good is by far our top priority!

-- dj!

Sami

• Beta Tester
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 07:34:46 AM »
Definitely do the rex file import ... Slicing is very important nowdays, for example I couldn't live with it since I work a lot with loops. And I think many people will agree with me.

smart

• Newbie+
    • smartbeats.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 09:25:36 PM »
Ok this is weird - I just requested support for FLAC, Monkey's Audio (APE) & WavePack specifically in another thread!

I think it would be great if you could add these formats if it doesn't take a ton of development time!

all 3 get my vote - I really would like to see samplers start supporting these formats. :)

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 07:50:33 AM »
A status update: Morgana currently supports REX and Wavpack import.  FLAC and APE will *probably* be added as well.

-- dj!

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB