Author Topic: Windows 7 64 Bit  (Read 6640 times)

DoozerLee

• Newbie+
Windows 7 64 Bit
« on: March 10, 2012, 07:26:14 PM »
Sorry to hassle you guys but,
I recently moved to Windows7 64 bit and now there is a lot of latency.
I know you were working on a new 64 bit version, and I was wondering if you think you might get a chance to finish them.
These are great products and the EQ really is the only one I want to use. Nothing else can do what Redline EQ does.
I would love to carry on using Redline if possible, but I think it would need a new windows 7/64 bit version.
If there is a new version coming, or if you know a work-around I would love to know.

Kind regards,
Paul

nousch

• Administrator
Re: Windows 7 64 Bit
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:56:15 AM »
At this moment the Reverb & Monitor are the first candidates for a 64-bits version. The EQ we'll look at later this year.

Just wondering: when you say you suddenly have  a lot of latency, do you mean your host doesn't correct the latency anymore? And which host do you use?

--nousch

DoozerLee

• Newbie+
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 10:31:30 PM »
Hi,
I am using Cakewalk Sonar X1 Producer (64 bit). in Windows 7 Pro 64bit, On Q6600 quad core with 4 gig.
The problem has started since moving from 32bit XP pro to windows 7.
Playback on it's own is OK. Everything is in time and the latency compensation is working. The problem is when playing an instrument (MIDI or DI'd guitar). There is a delay of about .2 of a second, between playing the note and hearing it. This happens no matter what track the EQ is on, and whether it is enabled or disabled. For example I could have Just one instance of the EQ on drums, switched off. And when I play a synth, I have the delay. If I remove the EQ from the project altogether, everything is back to normal and there is no delay. I don't get this problem with the reverb or the Pre-amp.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Paul

martijn

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 12:23:54 PM »
Hey Paul,

I am using Cakewalk Sonar X1 Producer (64 bit). in Windows 7 Pro 64bit, On Q6600 quad core with 4 gig.
The problem has started since moving from 32bit XP pro to windows 7.

Same Sonar version?

Playback on it's own is OK. Everything is in time and the latency compensation is working. The problem is when playing an instrument (MIDI or DI'd guitar). There is a delay of about .2 of a second, between playing the note and hearing it. This happens no matter what track the EQ is on, and whether it is enabled or disabled.

We don't have the latest version of Sonar to test this, but i did test this with different hosts and found a few things that have to do with the problem you describe.

First of all, yes, the plugin has quite a latency like all linear phase EQ's have. So if ya play realtime thru the EQ you will have latency, period. But let's focus on monitoring on a different track that does not have the EQ inserted. There should not be a reason to not have low latency monitoring there...

It seems that the latest Ableton Live has exactly the same problem. As soon as i insert the Redline EQ on one track all tracks get a monitoring latency that is equal to the latency of the plugin. In Ableton there are 2 ways to get rid of the latency on other tracks that do not have the EQ. 1. By switching off delay compensation. you might not want to do this because than every thing gets out of sync. 2. There's a new menu item in Ableton called "Reduced Latency While Monitoring". This somehow disables delay compensation for the track you are monitoring. Good for playing the guitar ;-)

I think it used to be so in Ableton that the monitoring track was automatically as low latency as possible before there was this  "Reduced Latency While Monitoring" menu . Maybe the reason is that if you have a multi channel interface and monitoring is on for multiple channels all channels have same delay. Don't really know...

Apple Logic does something different. Only the channel that is record enabled / monitor on is realtime. All other channels are rendered ahead. In Logic monitoring a track gives ya the smallest latency possible. Now say you have a plugin inserted on that channel that has a lot of latency, like Redline EQ, then monitoring has inevitable that extra latency. However In Apple Logic ya can hit the "lo Latency Mode". This function will bypass plugins with a latency higher than a adjustable threshold.

Not sure how helpful this is since you are working with Sonar. If you however find the solution in Sonar, don't hesitate to share with us ok.

-Martijn-
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:29:40 PM by nousch »

DoozerLee

• Newbie+
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 02:02:55 PM »
Thanks for the info.

It sounds like it is a problem with Cakewalk. It should know if a plug-in is switched off and adjust the latency accordingly. I will drop them a line.

Just out of interest, how come Redline EQ is Linear Phase only? Is it because of the way it models the analog EQ's? It would be nice in the future if it could have a low-latency mode, while you are tracking, and then you could switch it to linear-pase for the final mixing. Just a suggestion, if the existing architecture of the code would allow it:-)

I think I will use the built in EQ while recording and switch to Redline at the mixing stage to get the better sound.

Thanks,
Paul

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB