Author Topic: Reproducing 'feel' of consumer hifi equipment  (Read 8070 times)

voidfarstar

• Newbie+
Reproducing 'feel' of consumer hifi equipment
« on: June 04, 2009, 11:02:43 AM »
Hi folks,

Typically (like many others I would suspect) I sanity check my mixes on my trusty old hifi. 

This is normally reasonable reliable but I was wondering if anyone out there was 'emulating' consumer equipment feel in their DAW?  If so, do you look up EQ response of various popular speakers and throw an EQ device on your master bus with appropriate frequency curve?  Any other tips?

Peace, Dave

dj!

• 112dB
Re: Reproducing 'feel' of consumer hifi equipment
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 06:10:04 PM »
This is an interesting question, in fact.  I also make a point of listening to my mixes on as many different systems as possible, but didn't yet think about exactly what the difference between those systems is--except that they sound different, of course.  I'm not sure if the frequency response is all there is to it--it's probably an important factor but I could imagine that the speaker behavior and also the room contribute at least as much to the perceived end result.

As a matter of fact I have been thinking about adding similar functionality to Redline Monitor v2, so any thoughts or even speculations on this issue would be more than welcome.

-- dj!

Juanjo

• Beta Tester
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 06:25:51 PM »
I'm not an expert by any means but I'd say that the frequency response is just the easy part... loudspeakers might respond to different amplitudes and frequencies with different "delay times" (the cone doesn't expand and contract instantly, there's a tiny lag), which probably generates all sorts of weird complex stuff phase-wise... plus the room is important, there might some variable distortion and compression at high levels, the amplifier used probably has its own response and does its own shaping on the signal pre-loudspeakers, etc etc etc...

PArnal

• Newbie+
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 12:49:30 PM »
The idea will  be perhaps to have the presets a bit more "generic" ... For me, all the "NS10" are close enough to be immediately identifiable everywhere (that is why they are a bit everywhere ...) the same thing for small Auratone.
We can also imagine a Hifi 'standard' and also a "in car test", "the ultimate listening /test out of the studio", but also something like " listened from the next room" somekind of "TV next room" ...
Just need to have differents "flavor",  that will help just to have another point of view on the mix

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB