Author Topic: How to choose headphones??  (Read 15604 times)

StashO

• Newbie+
How to choose headphones??
« on: May 07, 2009, 02:23:12 PM »
Hi,

I just joined this forum and seriously want to make Redline Monitor work as studio accessability is hindered due to health reasons.

I need to get some advice in regards to
        1. what specs to look for when purchasing a set of headphones?
        2. is there any reason why using wireless would not work?
        3. should I use closed headphones or would earbuds work properly?
        4. are there any plans for surround headphones with Red Monitor?

Any and all advice or opinions would be welcome.

Thanks

Jordan Vesteyo

• Newbie+
Re: How to choose headphones??
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:51:51 PM »
I just went through this myself.   I already had an old pair of Sony 7506's and some v600's.  I didn't like mixing on them.

Specs...... I would say you want the same in the headphones as you would look for in a pair of studio monitors, flat and revealing.
Wireless.....  I would not do it, the wireless signal is compressed and the audio will not be useful for critical listening and mixing.
Closed or earbuds?    Closed-back or semi-closed-back, it's  a matter of personal taste.   I like closed back headphones personally.
Surround Headphones...... I dunno.

I ended up buying the BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro/80's, I really like these, flat and open, it's like a set of monitors on your head.

I think DJ uses the DT880's.   

StashO

• Newbie+
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 03:30:33 PM »
Hi Jordan,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you tell me what the difference is between the 770 pro 80 and the 770 pro 250? Also, I'm considering the  DT880 pro.

Again, any and all thoughts welcome.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:05:54 PM by StashO »

Jordan Vesteyo

• Newbie+
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 03:04:19 AM »
The difference between the 80 and the 250 is the impedance of the headphones.  The 770/80 are loud enough but the 250's will need a headphone amp to drive them.

StashO

• Newbie+
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 06:12:08 AM »
Thanks Jordan,

Also, what about the DT880 pro. Is that as good as the DT770 for what I need.

Here in Edmonton, they don't have the DT770 80 pro, but do have the dt770 250 and the DT880 pro

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 08:53:45 AM »
Just my $.02 in addition to the sound advice--pun entirely by accident--already given here.

Basically Redline Monitor shd work with all "decent" headphones, but the closer to perfect its characteristics the better the final result will be. For anything except the Distance emulation frequency response isn't critical (but again, the flatter the better), but good phase response is--so no innovative features like noise cancellation or Ultrasones please! I would definitely recommend open headphones over closed types because the enclosure can create all kinds of problems by itself, but don't worry about it too much as long as it's not a $20 model.

Personally I'm a fan of Beyerdynamic and particularly the DT880 and DT990, but like I said any decent pair shd be more than fine.

Take care,

-- dj!

StashO

• Newbie+
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 02:24:51 PM »
Thanks DJ,

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated. I'll try to find a sight where the specs are posted and compared for the different Beyerdynamics headphones.

I'm excited about being able to mix with phones and come up with a near finished mix that I can review on other setups such as the car, boombox, mini stereo system, etc.. then finally my monitor speakers.

Being old and having been around, I got hooked using the old ns-10s, so after trying Event 20/20s and I then purchased a set of hs50 and hs80. They seem to work fine for me, mainly because I have to work so hard to get good results.

Thanks again for your help, jordan and dj.

Stash

StashO

• Newbie+
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 05:13:05 AM »
Hi,

I made a decision and picked up a pair of DT 880 pro. This idea is still in the try out stage, but they do sound pretty good. Any and all opinions on my choice

I would also like to get an opinion on the Grado PS1000s. They are costly, but I wonder how close to the perfect mark they are and how well do they translate. 

I want to do this right, as soon I will be without a studio for quite a while and the idea of mixing with headphones and redline monitor sounds promising.

Thanks again for all your help.

voidfarstar

• Newbie+
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 07:06:52 PM »
Maybe my ears are getting old but I'm still find myself returning to a pair of AKG K240's that I picked up years ago.  Personally I find them very comfortable to wear and not too tiring on the ears (which is important now that I live next door to someone with a tendency to complain to the authorities for even mild levels of noise...)

I may not be an audiophile but I think that Redline Monitor + the K240's are getting my mixes close enough such that when I do have the chance to mix on decent monitors there aren't too many nasty surprises..

That's my 2 cents ...

regards, Dave

StashO

• Newbie+
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 08:01:16 PM »
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your opinion.

At this point, I now own the DT 880 pro. They are only semi open, but so far, sound not that bad. I am an old guy and set in my ways, but I will soon be in a situation where I won't have easy access to my control room, so the only way I can continue my work will be thru headphones, so this redline monitor plug is something I will need to rely on.

Again, thanks for the reply.

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 06:24:50 PM »
Maybe my ears are getting old but I'm still find myself returning to a pair of AKG K240's that I picked up years ago.

As with nearfield monitors, anything that you're used to and intimately know the sound of shd be good enough to do a decent mix on--just consider the number of pros still using the Yamaha NS10 as their main reference!  When starting afresh it makes sense to go with the best (specs-wise) equipment you can afford because it will ultimately get you further, but if you've got something you're already comfortable with I would definitely stick with that.  Nothing old about that. :)

Take care,

-- dj!

L-ROX

• Newbie+
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 11:08:39 PM »

1. what specs to look for when purchasing a set of headphones?

Here's what I've learned, from many years of using headphones for audio work: Every manufacturer has their own methods of measuring the frequency response of headphones and nothing is really standardized. It's practically impossible to measure headphones in a way that is perfectly meaningful to everyone that uses them, because everyone's head is different and thus, we perceive sound (our brain "measures" sound) different that someone else; at the end of the day, I feel it's all about personal preference. I use three pairs of headphones to judge my work (in addition to three sets of speakers).

2. is there any reason why using wireless would not work?

From what I understand, the biggest issue is noise. Wireless signals for audio aren't the best solution because of interference.

3. should I use closed headphones or would earbuds work properly?

Closed designs are great for isolation, but they don't sound as natural as open designs. Bass tends to sound "boomier" on closed designs, and some people prefer that but for referencing, I personally prefer open designs because they sound more natural and true to their frequencies.

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB