Author Topic: Redline Monitor crackling noise  (Read 8423 times)

Frantiac

• Newbie+
Redline Monitor crackling noise
« on: January 28, 2009, 04:19:42 PM »
I'm getting a nasty crackling noise as soon as the plugin is opened (AMD Athlon XP2800+ (2.08Ghz), 1.5GB RAM, Emu 1212m, ATI Radeon 9600XT, Cubase SX3).

I've just discovered that I can overcome this by increasing my soundcard's latency to 20ms which is a drag as it's always worked comfortably at 6ms. My projects are usually running at a maximum of 35% CPU.

Is this normal behaviour?

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:55:06 PM by Frantiac »

dj!

• 112dB
Re: crackling noise
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 04:29:28 PM »
No, that is definitely not normal behavior.  Does the crackling occur only during the time the plugin is opening or does it persist as long as the plugin is loaded?  And just to make sure: this is about Redline Monitor, not Morgana, right?

Thanks,

-- dj!

Frantiac

• Newbie+
Re: crackling noise
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 04:54:34 PM »
Yes it is about Redline Monitor.  The crackling is there all the time the plugin is enabled but not while it's disabled.

I've opened Cubase with a stereo audio file and no plugins except Redline Monitor.
I'm working at 44,100, I've set my latency to 6ms, CPU is running at 4% and the crackling is there. It increases and decreases when I move the various controls and is loudest when the distance knob is at 0.1. and the center knob at -3 (If I disable the distance knob it decreases). If I select either of the phase buttons the crackling gets worse and if I select both phase buttons it gets so loud that the music is inaudible.

I have a short mp3 clip of the problem if it's any use to you ...

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:26:34 PM by Frantiac »

dj!

• 112dB
Re: Redline Monitor crackling noise
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
Thanks for the detailed description, though to be honest I have no direct idea what could be causing this.

The first thing I'd ask you to try: attached is a zip file with two utilities.  Double click the "Enable CPU Meters" utility, then OK twice, and relaunch Cubase.  Redline Monitor will now display three CPU meters.  Could you verify that the meters display normal--that is, no big spikes or huge %--values?

I would appreciate the mp3, perhaps it sheds some light on the matter.  Please email to dj at 112dB dot com.

Thanks,

-- dj!

sirganya

• Newbie+
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 04:47:57 AM »
I get the same problem in Nuendo. The Redline Monitor works great in the Msater section of Ableton but in Nuendo I get the same crackling descibed in this thread. As Nuendo and Cubase use the same engine it must be an issue with Steinberg products. I'm using Nuendo v3.2

sirganya

• Newbie+
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 04:55:37 AM »
I installed the CPU monitor and reopened Nuendo. It still crackled but this time when I changed the latency it cleared up. Its now running smooth at a latency of 2ms. Before installing the CPU reg-entry changing the latency had no effect on the crackles.

It's great to be able to hear reverbs correctly through my DT 990's, great product!

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 07:36:51 AM »
Thanks much for the update & great to hear it's working smoothly for you now!  The issue is under investigation and I managed to pinpoint a possible culprit from a trace log that an affected user sent me, so hopefully I'll be able to fix this real soon.

Peace,

-- dj!

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB