Author Topic: Redline EQ responds very slowly  (Read 5346 times)

Mljung

Redline EQ responds very slowly
« on: October 22, 2009, 09:24:35 AM »
Hello - this is my first post on this forum.

I recently bought the Redline EQ which sound and feature wise, is very, very good in my opinion.

But it's a heavy plugin here on my Athlon 64 3000+ 2GB XP system, too heavy, often it responds veeery slooouwly, when I adjust it's parameters.

As one can see on the attached image even just putting one [1] EQ in Wavelabs Mastersection [doesn't have to be "swithced on"] using Redline EQ with dynamic filters and harmonic distortion in M-S mode, makes quite a heavy load on the system.

The dramatic drop in CPU usage was made by removing the plugin from the slot completely [as just bypassing or turning the effect slot off, didn't help].

My feeling is that it changes a bit from time to time, how much CPU is actually being used, but it's seems as if there's something wrong..!?

Kind regards,
Mads

dj!

• 112dB
Re: Redline EQ responds very slowly
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 07:46:52 PM »
Hmmm... first off, the additional features (like dynamics EQ and harmonic distortion) do increase the CPU load when switched on.  But even so the load it places on your system seems to be extremely heavy.  Would you happen to have any other hosts to try and see how the CPU usage is there--it could be something Wavelab specific, even though we do much of our testing in WL.

I need to check to make sure but if indeed turning off or bypassing the EQ doesn't bring down the CPU usage dramatically it sounds to me as if something is wrong.  I'll report back on that.

Take care,

-- dj!

Mljung

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 01:17:21 PM »
I just tried it in Samplitude with similar results. What was obvious was that the CPU consumption goes way up, when the GUI is present, and I believe that's what's making the tweaking so slow responding, it's really annoying actually, and not something I see in other plugins...

What I found out, and this may be important here, was that just switching the dynamic EQ off alone reduced the CPU load from around 75% to around 10%, [switching Harmonic distortion on/off didn't change much]

Hope this info helps solving the issue!

Best,
Mads

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 10:04:06 AM »
That definitely sounds like the actual GUI drawing is the problem--with dynamic EQ on the graphic display is redrawn a lot to reflect the current response of the dynamic EQ.  If that is the case, disabling the Dynamic switch directly above the graphic display shd ease the CPU usage a lot (by not showing the dynamic curve anymore).

The only advice I can give for now is to make sure your video drivers are up to date; many video card manufacturers keep tuning their drivers for better performance.

Take care,

-- dj!

Mljung

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 12:31:10 PM »
I have a Matrox G550 certainly not the fastest you can get, but known to be pretty stable!
I try to keep my drivers up to date, but there's not much happening regarding this video-card.
What I can say is that I have many plugins showing moving graphics constantly updating, like Voxengos and quite a few others, neither of those exhibit this issue at all, maybe some optimization on the Redline EQ graphics could help a lot!
Until this I will use the Dynamic switch above the display - actually I thought it disabled the dynamic filtering altogether, but it's good to know that it does not [..haven't read the manual careful enough I guess].

Thanks,
Mads

dj!

• 112dB
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 01:01:05 PM »
Ok, thanks for the info--I'll see if I can figure out what's slowing it down so much on your setup.

-- dj!

112dB is...

...founded in 2005 and based in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Our mission statement: providing high quality plugins which are easy to use and innovative with the same warm and unique character that vintage analog devices have

Connect with us

Facebook Twitter

to receive news about new products and special offers from 112dB